Dr Burcu Kapar is an Associate Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai. She obtained his PhD and MSc in Financial Economics from the City, University of London. Dr Burcu Kapar has a broad range of experience in teaching Finance and Economic courses such as Principles of Finance, Corporate Finance, Financial Derivatives, Multinational Financial Management, Financial Modelling and Empirical Analysis, Real Estate Finance and Management, Financial Analysis Tools and Techniques, Investment and Portfolio Management, Financial Strategy and Corporate Governance from Finance Discipline and Intermediate Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics from Economics discipline.
Dr Kapar follows innovative pedagogical techniques to engage and motivate the students with practical and real life examples.
Her research interest focuses on empirical finance, financial markets, cryptocurrencies and international trade. She has had several articles published in peer reviewed international journals, as well as numerous conference presentations.
Prior to joining UOWD, she worked in a university in the UAE as an Assistant and Associate Professor and worked as a Corporate Marketing Specialist in Turkiye Is Bankasi for 4 years.
- PhD in Financial Economics, City, University of London (UK)
- MSc in Financial Economics, City, University of London (UK)
- BSc in Management Engineering, Istanbul Technical University (Turkey)
- Kapar, B., S. Buigut and F. Rana, 2022. Winners and Losers from Pfizer and Biontech's Vaccine Announcement: Evidence from S&P 500 (Sub)Sector Indices. Plos One 17(10): e0275773.
- Kapar, B., S. Buigut and F. Rana, 2022. Global Evidence on Early Effects of COVID-19 on Stock Markets. Review of Financial Economics 40 (4), 438-463.
- Kapar, B., and J. Olmo (2020) Analysis of Bitcoin prices using market and sentiment variables. The World Economy 44(1), 45-63.
- Kapar, B. and S. Buigut (2020) Effect of Qatar Diplomatic and Economic Isolation on Qatar Stock Market Volatility: An Event Study Approach. Applied Economics 52(55), 6022-6030.
- Kapar, B. and S. Buigut (2020) Effect of Qatar Diplomatic and Economic Isolation on GCC Stock Markets: An Event Study Approach. Finance Research Letters 37, 101352.
- Kapar, B., J. Olmo and R. Ghalayini (2020) Financial Integration in the United Arab Emirates Stock Markets. Finance Research Letters 33, 101219.
- Kapar, B. and J. Olmo (2019) An Analysis of Price Discovery between Bitcoin Futures and Spot Markets. Economics Letters 174, 62-64.
- Iori, G., Kapar, B. and J. Olmo (2015) Bank Characteristics and the Interbank Money Market: A Distribution Approach. Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics 19, 3, 249–283.
Her research interest focuses on empirical finance, financial markets, cryptocurrencies, terrorist attacks and its effect on stock markets and international trade.
- Economic Essentials for Business-Undergraduate Course in UOWD
- Financial Strategy and Governance-MBA Course in UOWD
- Corporate Finance
- Multinational Financial Management
- Financial Modelling and Empirical Analysis
- Investment and Portfolio Management
- Financial Derivatives