Dr Khairul Anuar Kamarudin
Finance and Accounting
- Faculty of Business Staff Profiles
- Dr Khairul Anuar Kamarudin
Dr Khairul Kamarudin is an Associate Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD).Prior to joining UOWD, Dr Kamarudin was the undergraduate Head of Programme and Research Coordinator at MARA University of Technology, Malaysia.
Dr Kamarudin follows a student-centred model of teaching in which learning is a collaborative activity between students and lecturer. He has a vast experience in the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching of financial reporting, management accounting, and accounting information system.
He obtained his PhD specialising in Financial Reporting, Corporate Governance and Accounting Quality from Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. He also holds a professional accounting qualification from Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), United Kingdom, a Master degree and a First-Class Bachelor degree (Hons) in accounting from Mara University of Technology, Malaysia.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Accounting), Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), United Kingdom
- Master of Accountancy, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Malaysia
- Bachelor of Accountancy (Hons) - First Class, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Malaysia
Dr Khairul Kamarudin has published at leading accounting journals, among others:
- Kamarudin, K.A., Islam, A., Wan Ismail, W.A. & Jahan, M.A. (2022). The effect of mandatory audit firm rotation and the strength of auditing and reporting standards on auditor competition and audit fees relationship: evidence from emerging markets. International Journal of Auditing, 26(2), 252-278. (Wiley) Scopus/Q1/A.
- Kamarudin, K.A., Islam, A., Habib, A., & Wan Ismail, W.A.(2022). Auditor switching, lowballing and the quality of financial reporting: evidence from East Asian countries. Managerial Auditing Journal, 37(2), 224-254. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/A
- Kamarudin, K.A., Arif, M.A, & Jaafar, A. (2020). Investor protection, cross-listing and accounting quality. Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, 16(1), 1-14. (Elsevier) Scopus/Q2/A
- Ariff, M.A, Kamarudin, K.A., & Jaafar, A. (2022). Political stability, board tenure, and corporate cash holdings. Journal of International Accounting Research, ahead-of-print. (American Accounting Association) Scopus/Q2/A
- Ratri, M.C., Harymawan, I., & Kamarudin, K.A. (2021). Busy CEOs and financial reporting quality: evidence from Indonesia. Sustainability, 13(10), 55-67. (MDPI) Scopus/Q1
- Kamarudin, K.A., Wan Ismail, W.A., & Arif, M.A (2022). Auditor tenure, investor protection and accounting quality: International evidence. Accounting Research Journal, 35(2), 238-260. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/B
- Kamarudin, K.A., Arif, M.A, & Wan Ismail, W.A. (2020). Intensity of product market competition, institutional environment and accrual quality. Pacific Accounting Review, 32(3), 391-419. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/B
- Kamarudin, K.A., Wan Ismail, W. A, Harymawan, I., & Shafie, R. (2021). Types of politically connected firms and analysts' earnings forecast. Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 22(5), 883-913. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/B.
- Harymawan, I., Nasih, M., Rayahu, N.K., Kamarudin, K.A., & Wan Ismail, W.A. (2022). Busy CEOs and financial reporting quality: evidence from Indonesia. Asian Review of Accounting, ahead-of-print. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/B
- Zakaria, N., Sehgal, R., Watson, A., & Kamarudin, K.A (2022). Staying afloat? Using a reflective crisis-sensemaking approach to explore the meaning of resilience among expat SMEs during Covid-19. Journal of General Management, ahead-of-print. (Sage) Scopus/Q2/B.
- Wan Ismail, Kamarudin, K.A., W.A, Gupta, N, & Harymawan, I. (2022). Gender diversity in the boardroom and corporate cash holdings: the moderating effect of investor protection. Risks, 10(60) 1-18. (MDPI) Scopus/Q2/B
- Wan Ismail, W.A., Kamarudin, K.A., Van Zijl, T. & Dunstan, K.L. (2013). Earnings quality and the adoption of IFRS-based accounting standards: evidence from an emerging market. Asian Review of Accounting, 21(1), 53-73. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/B
- Kamarudin, K.A., Arif, M.A, & Wan Ismail, W.A. (2022). Product market competition, board diversity and corporate sustainability performance: international evidence. Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 20(2), 233-260. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/C
- Wan Ismail, W.A., Kamarudin, K.A. & Sarman, S.R. (2015). The quality of earnings in shariah-compliant companies: evidence from Malaysia. Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research, 6(1), 19-41. (Emerald) Scopus/Q2/C
Dr Khairul’s research interest areas are auditing, corporate governance, competition and accounting quality. He has received numerous international research grants to investigate issues relating auditing, market-based accounting research, corporate governance and financial reporting.
Dr Khairul is a member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, UK (CIMA), and the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA). He also frequently invited as a guest speaker from various universities and institutions to conduct workshops on Data Analysis using STATA and application of computerised accounting technology such MYOB, Sage UBS, and Xero and Wave Accounting.
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Financial Accounting
- Accounting Information System
Remember to attend our next Open Day on Saturday, 29 April 2023.
Join our experts to learn more about our degrees, and how you can enrol at UOWD.