The library is a rich academic resource for students, staff and alumni of UOWD.
The main library centre is open from 8.30am to 8.30pm (Sunday – Thursday) and 10am to 5pm (Saturday), in addition to which, electronic information can be accessed via the Library website 24 hours a day through a UOW email account.
Alongside a comprehensive range of print and electronic information, the library hosts 103 individual study carrels, group study rooms, new laptop and desktop computers and an enclosed computer lab with 25 terminals, photocopying and colour printing facilities. There is a dedicated space for research students and a specialist research librarian is in post.
Spread over 950 square metres in Block 14 of Dubai Knowledge Village, the Library is operated by professional staff who can help you access information from a comprehensive catalogue of resources, including:
- 28,536 items including books, journals, newspapers, kits, cassettes, videos and DVDs
- Over 245,065 eBooks
- 585 Online Databases
- 1,037,658+ online accessible documents
- 106,033 electronic journal titles
- 300+ e-references
- Online Library catalogue.
You can search the library catalogue at any time and a wealth of electronic and research resources are available. You can also gain access to 29,000+ hard books, CDs, 182,537+ e-books and 103,436+ online journals through the University of Wollongong, Australia.
- Users may borrow up to seven items from the main collection and up to three Closed Reserve System (CRS) items. Fines are applied to overdue items and lost or damaged books must be paid for.
- Items can be renewed twice in addition to the initial loan if they are not already overdue or reserved for another user and a hold can be placed on some library items online.
Group study rooms
- Facilities are available for groups of two to six people to work in quiet study rooms.
- Rooms can be booked online or a maximum two hours per study group and can be booked up to two days in advance.
Computers and printing
- Library computers provide access to the Internet, the Library catalogue and databases only.
- Black and white printing costs AED 1 for 20 sheets; printing papers are provided by the library.
- Laptops can be loaned for a period of up to three hours; fines apply for later return.
- Laptops are only available for use within the library.
Scanning, printing and copying
- Scanning to disk is free. Colour printouts cost AED 2 per page and students have to log in to the multimedia computer using their Student ID and password provided by the IT department.
- There is a coin-operated copier in the library costing 50 fils per page.
Learning more about using the library
- Workshops teaching users how to access our databases and catalogues are held throughout each semester. The workshops also deal with search techniques and management of SOLS passwords.
- One-to-one sessions are offered to provide users with free individual, in-depth assistance.
- User guides and information handouts are freely available throughout the library.
- Library staff are happy to answer questions and assist you with your information needs.
Library Services Charter
Client and stakeholder satisfaction is very important to us and Our Client Service Charter reflects our commitment to delivering high quality service to all our users. It formalises our collaborative approach to improving and maintaining service excellence.
We will endeavour to:
- answer your questions promptly
- respond to emails within one working day
- avoid queues and not keep you waiting for more than four minutes
- return items to the main shelves within ten working hours
- have new items ready for borrowing within four working days
- have new serial issues on the shelf within two working days
- respond to urgent requests within one working day of receipt
- ensure 95% of workstations are operational at all times
- ensure that 100% of required and recommended text in subject outlines are available unless out of print.
As part of our ongoing commitment to provide the best possible service to all of our users, we add to our book and audio-visual collections on a monthly basis. Updates are detailed in our New Books Lists.
Contact and feedback
For further information or assistance, please contact the library:
Tel: +971 (4) 367 2492